The FBI raid on Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence was one of the most controversial governmental raids in recent history. It has caused Republicans to speculate the motivation behind it and Democrats to celebrate the attempted destruction of Trump’s image.
Only a few weeks after its occurrence, Donald Trump has filed a lawsuit against the United States Government.
The lawsuit seeks a detailed audit and inventory of the items taken from Trump’s home and while the FBI previously provided a listed inventory, items were missing from the list such as Trump’s passports that have now been returned.
The Department of Justice has made an argument that the affidavit that led to the FBI raid should remain sealed and kept from the public. Trump’s lawsuit focuses on that as one of it’s targets as there is much speculation of who was really behind the organization of the raid.
Judge Bruce Reinhart ruled that the DOJ must unseal the affidavit as the raid was “unprecedented” and there is “intense public and historic interest” in the case.
Trump v. United States states, “To date, the government has failed to legitimize its historic decision to raid the home of a President who had been fully cooperative.”
In response to the lawsuit being filed DOJ spokesperson Anthony Coley said, “The Aug. 8 search warrant at Mar-a-Lago was authorized by a federal court upon the required finding of probably cause. The Department is aware of this evening’s motion. The United States will file its response in court.”
The Daily Wire reported further on the lawsuit:
“In the lawsuit, filed by three of Trump’s attorneys, the former president’s legal team says that the August 8 raid on his residence appears to be motivated politics than law and order. “[T]he Government has failed to legitimize its historic decision,” the suit says, adding that Attorney General Merrick Garland took the “unheard-of step” in the aftermath of holding a press conference over the raid and agreeing to release part of the search warrant application.
“The lawsuit records a short history of Trump’s discussions with the National Archives over documents that the archives wanted retrieved from Mar-a-Lago. The lawsuit describes Trump as cooperative and accommodating with the National Archive’s, and later the Department of Justice’s requests.
“The cooperation ended on August 8 when Trump, who was in New York at the time, received a call from Justice Department counterintelligence chief Jay Bratt, informing Trump that the FBI is searching Mar-a-Lago.”
Want the latest in breaking news and insider information on America? Click Here
Follow Raging Americans on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.